Land Use, Zoning & Permitting
Halverson Northwest specializes in land use, zoning and permitting. We have extensive experience in virtually every aspect of land use permitting and entitlements. Our attorneys provide a creative and strategic approach in developing the appropriate project review and permitting strategy whether the project is a straight-forward short plat or a complex commercial or mixed use development. Our attorneys are familiar with all aspects of the land use process including planning, permitting and litigation, when necessary.
We represent owners, developers and interest groups. Our representation has also included special use districts and municipal governments on both quasi-judicial and legislative planning.
Halverson Northwest has experience in the following:
- Zoning and permit processes
- State and local subdivision issues
- Environmental review under SEPA/NEPA
- Conditional or unclassified uses
- Federal and state wetlands regulation
- Critical Area Ordinances
- Shoreline management applications
- Hydraulic permit applications
- Building permits
- Master use permits
- Dedications and exactions
- Transportation impacts and analysis
Halverson Northwest also has extensive experience in litigation arising from or related to land use, zoning and permitting processes. Our experience includes:
- Administrative hearings before planning commissions, boards of adjustment, hearing examiners and local legislative and quasi-juridical bodies
- Land Use Petition Act (LUPA) appeals
- Land use appeals before the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court
- Administrative appeals to Growth Management Hearings Board (GMHB)
Halverson Northwest has also been an advocate for clients in the legislative planning process. Our representation has included matters regarding review and revision of comprehensive plans and zoning ordinances, applications for amendment of comprehensive plans, and active involvement in legislative planning processes.